California Earthquake Awareness Month
April is California Earthquake Awareness Month. For California residents, it’s not a matter of if you will experience an earthquake, but when.
How do you prepare for an earthquake?
- Check for hazards in your home. Secure items that could fall and cause injuries (e.g., bookshelves, mirrors, light fixtures).
- Identify safe places indoors and outdoors.
- Build a disaster supplies kit. Some essential items include food, water, first aid kit, flashlight and extra batteries.
- Develop an emergency communication plan with your family.
Do you know what to do if an earthquake strikes? Stop what you’re doing then Drop, Cover and Hold on!
- Drop where you are, onto your hands and knees to prevent being knocked down by the shaking.
- Cover your head and neck with one arm and hand.
- If a sturdy table or desk is nearby, crawl underneath it for shelter.
- If no shelter is nearby, crawl next to a wall away from windows, mirrors or other items that could break or fall on you.
- Hold on to the shelter with one hand to prevent it from moving away from you. If near a wall instead of under shelter, hold on to the back of your head and neck with both arms and hands.