Return to full list >>
Children can easily choke on food and everyday objects. Learn simple tips to keep children safe.
How do you prevent children from choking on food?
- Encourage children to sit down while eating and chew carefully.
- Cut food for babies and young children into pieces no larger than one-half inch.
- Do not give round, firm foods (examples: whole grapes, nuts, candy, popcorn, chunks of meat or cheese) to children younger than age 4.
How do you prevent children from choking on everyday objects?
- Choose toys that are age appropriate for children.
- Check children’s toys for any small parts or other potential choking hazards.
- Keep small objects such as buttons, jewelry, magnets, coins and marbles out of children’s reach.