Lithium Ion Battery Safety
Lithium ion batteries are in many common devices. In rare cases, they can cause a fire or explosion. Follow these safety tips:
- Purchase and use devices that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Only use the battery that is designed for the device.
- Only use the charging cord that came with the device.
- Store batteries away from anything that can catch fire.
- Stop using the battery if you notice these problems: odor, change in color, too much heat, change in shape, leaking, odd noises. If it is safe to do so, move the device away from anything that can catch fire. Call 9-1-1.
- Do not put lithium ion batteries in the trash.
For more information, please refer to the Lithium Ion Battery Safety flyer.