National Electrical Safety Month
May is National Electrical Safety Month. The Burbank Fire Department encourages all residents to learn about electrical safety and help reduce the number of electrical fires in our community.
Here are some simple tips:
- When you are buying, selling or remodeling a home, have it inspected by a qualified electrician.
- Replace cracked and damaged electrical cords.
- Only plug one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, toaster, space heater, etc.) into a receptacle outlet at a time.
- Avoid pinching cords against walls or furniture or running them under carpets or across doorways. This can cause a fire.
- Use extension cords for temporary wiring only.
For more information, check out these resources: