Are you prepared for a power outage? Here are some tips:
Before a power outage:
- Sign up for the City of Burbank Emergency Public Notification System.
- Build or restock your emergency preparedness kit, including a flashlight, batteries, cash and first aid supplies.
- If you rely on anything that is battery-operated or power dependent like a medical device, determine a back-up plan.
During a power outage:
- Only use flashlights for emergency lighting, candles can cause fires.
- Take steps to remain cool if it is hot outside. Consider going to a movie theater, shopping mall or cooling center in case of a prolonged outage.
- Only use generators away from your home and NEVER run a generator inside a home or garage, or connect it to your home's electrical system.
- Turn off or disconnect appliances and other equipment in case of a momentary power “surge” that can damage computers and other devices. Consider adding surge protectors.
After a power outage:
- Throw away any food that has been exposed to temperatures 40° F for 2 hours or more or that has an unusual odor, color or texture.
- Restock your emergency preparedness kit with fresh batteries, canned foods and other supplies.