Burn Awareness Week
Return to full list >>
National Burn Awareness Week is February 3-9, 2019. There are many different ways a burn injury can occur. Ensure a safe environment with these tips:
- Teach children that hot things can burn.
- Put hot objects and liquids beyond a child’s reach so that they can’t touch or pull them down.
- Use dry oven mitts or potholders. Hot cookware can heat moisture in a potholder, resulting in a scald burn.
- Wear short, close-fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking.
- Have a “kid-free zone” of at least 3 feet around the stove.
To treat a burn:
- Put it in cool water immediately for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cover with a clean, dry cloth.
- Get medical help if needed.
For more information, please refer to the Scald Prevention Safety Tips flyer.