Generally not aggressive, rattlesnakes will likely retreat if given room or not deliberately threatened. The Burbank Fire Department offers these tips for preventing snake bites:
- Wear boots and long pants when walking or working in wildland areas.
- Do not touch or disturb a snake, even if it appears dead.
- Stay on trails when hiking, away from underbrush and tall weeds.
- Never hike alone in remote areas. Always have someone with you who can assist in an emergency.
- Teach children to respect snakes and to leave them alone.
If bitten by a rattlesnake:
- Dial 911.
- Stay calm but act quickly.
- Remove watches, rings, etc., which may constrict swelling.
For more information, visit https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/News/Snake.