Use a fire extinguisher when all of the following questions are answered “yes.”
- Have I alerted others in the building that there’s a fire?
- Has someone called the fire department?
- Am I physically able to use a fire extinguisher?
- Is the fire small and contained in a single object (like a pan or a wastebasket)?
- Am I safe from the fire’s toxic smoke?
- Do I have a clear escape route?
If you’re unsure about whether or not it’s safe to use a fire extinguisher and for all other situations, alert others, leave the building, and call 911.
Fire extinguishers are one element of a fire response plan, but the primary element is safe escape. Every household should have a home fire escape plan and working smoke alarms.
For more information, please review the Burbank Fire Department's Fire Extinguishers Safety Sheet.