Garage Fire Safety
Return to full list >>
The leading cause of garage fires is electrical malfunction. Prevent home garage fires by following these tips:
- Store oil, gasoline, paints, propane and varnishes in a shed away from your home or an approved flammable liquids storage cabinet.
- Keep items that can burn on shelves away from appliances.
- Avoid storage of combustibles near water heaters.
- Plug only one charging appliance into an outlet.
- Don’t use an extension cord when charging an appliance.
- Install a heat alarm — not a smoke alarm — in your garage. The heat alarm will sound if the temperature rises too high. Heat alarms are another useful part of any home fire detection system.