Inspectors from the Burbank Fire Department administer and enforce Federal and State laws and regulations for the Underground Storage Tank (UST) Program through:
- Annual inspection of USTs, monitoring equipment and tank records
- Review and approval of submittals to the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS)
- Plan check and inspection for UST installations, modifications, upgrades and removals
- Title 40 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 280
- California Health & Safety Code, Division 20, Chapter 6.7 & 6.75
California Code of Regulations, Title 23, Chapter 16 & 18
Inspection and Enforcement
Annual facility inspections are mandated by State law and performed by Burbank Fire Department Inspectors. Inspectors coordinate with UST facilities to schedule inspections when appropriate technical staff is available to inspect monitoring systems and other tank components.
Consolidated Permit Requirements for USTs
To legally operate a UST in the City of Burbank, the facility must be in possession of a valid Consolidated Permit issued by the Los Angeles County Fire Department CUPA. To receive a Consolidated Permit you must satisfy the following requirements:
- The UST must be inspected by an Inspector and there must not be any open violations at the time when permits are issued.
- All required UST testing must be completed by the mandated due date and by approved testers.
- All UST owners and/or operators must electronically submit in the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) a complete UST package for each permitting cycle or any changes to the UST system.
- The Consolidated Permit fees must be paid in full prior to the issuing of the Consolidated Permit.
Failure to obtain a valid Consolidated Permit will result in progressive enforcement that may involve the issuance of penalties and other formal enforcement options.
Public Records Requests
To review UST records, please email your request to the Burbank Fire Prevention Bureau at BurbankFPB@burbankca.gov. Requesters may access GeoTracker, a public database of USTs.
Underground Storage Tank Owner/Operator Informational PDF
Citywide Fee Schedule, Article V - Public Safety
Plan Check, Permits and Inspection for UST Modification
Plans for installation, modification and removal of USTs and/or the UST system are reviewed by DROP-OFF only (not over the counter) by Inspectors at the Burbank Fire Department at 311 E. Orange Grove Ave, Burbank, CA 91502. A permit will be issued following approval of plans and field inspections will be scheduled to oversee the permitted project.